This self-assessment template was used after a lesson based on Anne Frank’s no silent campaign. The boys used their speaking and listening skills to reflect on their verbal performances. This enabled them to identify strengths and areas for improvement. As the boys watched their performances back on video, this enabled them to evaluate their work personally. This was a key strength as I used technology effectively to support learning and reflection. However, the IWB that I was using chopped off half of the boys faces which they found comical! I learnt to always test out technology prior to planning! Although this encourages rigorous self-reflection, it is important that the children know how to do this effectively. I had to model quite a lot in order for them to understand how to do this so if I were to implement this again in the future, it is important that the children know how to reflect and don’t just tick ‘yes’ without meaning.
During my placement, I created a setting plan. The plan was based on mixed ability to enable the boys to support one and other. The plan had to be carefully worked out to ensure that the boys will work well together. Additional needs also had to be considered such as those who needed support, the child with dyslexia and the children with glasses. I am glad to have been able to experience designing and implementing a new seating plan so that I know what to do come September!
During my final practice, I collaborated with the Art Specialist teacher to plan two lessons based on the Stone Age. As we had been focusing on Stig of the Dump in English, I thought that it would be a fun way to combine English, History and Art into one!! The learning objective of the lesson was to create a cave painting (See image 2) from tissue paper, chalk and charcoal. I used tissue paper to give it a rough effect and we discussed the history behind using chalk and charcoal (they were the only tools around then!). We also looked at a few cave paintings and discussed what they used to paint – mainly animals and humans hunting. However, it was important to make sure that I had the relevant subject knowledge to teach this effectively. Therefore, I visited BBC which contained a wide variety of activities and subject knowledge. I would definitely advise this to anybody who wants to teach art combined with History. If teaching this lesson again, I would make sure to explain that they need to draw their cave painting bigger. Although the child on image 2 did, some of the children drew quite small. Overall, I really enjoyed teaching this and the children produced some beautiful work!
During my final practice, the boys were OBSESSED with Harry Potter. So, I decided to implement a potion price list when teaching money. The children were really engaged with this and loved the idea of it having a real-life, comical context. I was also praised for this resource by the Year 5 teacher who was observing the other classroom. However, the HA resource contained a typing error and included a fraction that couldn’t be divided equally. This caused a bit of chaos and disruption so next time, it is so important to check home-made worksheets for any errors. Also, it is crucial to keep your subject knowledge up to date! Perhaps if I had done so, there wouldn’t have been an error. Nevertheless, the children were so engaged and motivated by the theme of the lesson that they all got on to complete the extension challenge cards. These resources were effectively differentiated and I would definitely use them again (once I’ve corrected the typo that is!). I have attached the differentiated sheets.
Hagrid_s Potion Price List SquaresHagrid_s Potion Price List Triangles